Community Engagement at UMBC offers students the opportunity to gain powerful skills, experience new things, make meaningful connections, and diversify their UMBC experience beyond the classroom. Community Engagement at UMBC is a gateway to deep, lifelong involvement in solving social problems and making sustainable contributions to the common good. Our programs connect students with the wider community, deepen learning, foster positive action, empower leaders and contribute to a culture of innovation.
We encourage and support many forms of community engagement including activism, social entrepreneurship, advocacy, direct service, and more! Learn. Take action. Get involved!
How can I get involved in service?
Explore a few of the resources listed below to find what best fits your interests and your schedule. You can choose from many options, including short-term and long-term service-learning projects.
- Join the Community Engagement Network on myUMBC to stay in the loop about community engagement opportunities including: Leading or participating in Alternative Spring Break trips or Welcome Week Service Projects.
- Join a service/social action student organization: View the List of Student Organizations and check out the Service category.
- Get your student organization involved by sponsoring one of the American Red Cross campus blood drives through the American Red Cross Club.
- Participate in service-learning through the Shriver Center.
- Check out BreakingGround, a campus-wide social innovation initiative bringing together students, faculty, and staff making a difference on campus and beyond.