Meet the staff, students, & committees that support student organizations.
- Student Organization Support
- The Student Organizations Committee (SOC)
- The Equipment Committee
- The Club Sports Committee
Student Organizations Staff
Courtney Campbell email@example.com – Coordinator for Student Organization Development, Campus Life
Tori Heasley firstname.lastname@example.org – Coordinator for Student Organization Engagement, Campus Life
Student Affairs Staff Support
Matt Bolling email@example.com -Assistant Director, Event Scheduling Event & Conference Services, Campus Life
David Royer firstname.lastname@example.org – Accounting Associate, Student Affairs Business Services Center
Joshua Gray email@example.com – Vice President for Student Organizations
Sierra Grey-Coker firstname.lastname@example.org – Assistant Director for Coalition and Cultural Organizing, SGA Student Organization Support Team
Kayla Hegbe email@example.com – Coordinator of Programming, SGA Student Organization Support Team
Brian Hung firstname.lastname@example.org – Student Organization Committee Representative, SGA Student Organization Support Team
The SOC is composed of up to three staff members (who are selected by the Director of Campus Life) and three SGA representatives, including the SGA Vice President for Student Organizations, the Chair of the SGA Finance Board, and another student (nominated by the SGA President and approved by the SGA Senate). In addition, the SGA President and Executive Vice President shall serve as ex-officio, non-voting members. The SOC works with students in a variety of ways:
- Guiding UMBC undergraduate students in establishing officially recognized student organizations, including making recommendations for recognition to the Director of Campus Life;
- Reviewing and approving organizations’ constitutional amendments;
- Making recommendations for revocation of recognition to the Director of Campus Life;
- Exploring a variety of issues with student organization leaders and campus partners in order to improve processes and practices.
The Equipment Committee works with the SGA Finance Board to review funding requests made by student organizations for equipment. It is a group comprised of Campus Life staff and SGA representatives who asses these requests before the Finance Board receives the review and makes the determination of funding.
The Club Sports Committee includes two members appointed by the Director of Athletics, two members appointed by the Director of Campus Life, one member appointed by the Club Sports Council and one member appointed by the SGA Vice President for Student Organizations. The Committee operates by consensus, and informs the Director of Athletics and Director of Campus Life of any issues on which a consensus cannot be reached.
Twice each semester, the Committee meets to discuss and make recommendations regarding whether the University and Athletics & Recreation community can support the addition of proposed Club Sports from the waitlist. The Committee weighs multiple factors in making this determination, including, but not limited to, the availability of space and funding. In addition, the Committee will take the following into account:
- Why does the club need to be recognized under the Athletic & Recreation Department?
- Are there interested students/staff to hold the offices of President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Advisor?
- Will the club be active in the form of continually holding practices, competition, classes, and seminars?
- Is there a similar club currently active on campus?
- Does this club provide opportunities substantially different from those provided by already existing clubs?
- Is there sufficient support and interest from students, staff, or faculty beyond the students proposing to start the organization?